Sunday, February 6, 2011

¡¿Mi Caldo Verde está Rojo!?


Since today was the Superbowl, I decided to make some soup for dinner. Get it? "soup"erbowl?? lol okay so it's not that funny.

While I was browsing the magazine rack at Border's, I noticed that Jamie Oliver had a magazine called "Jamie" and decided that it was worth a look.
I was lucky enough to find this Portuguese soup involving Kale, since I'm trying to eat more of this superfood...haha"super"food...get it?

For "Caldo Verde" or Green Soup you need:

1 bunch of kale, chiffonade (which ever kind of kale you prefer)
4 redskinned potatoes, chopped (you can use 2 medium sized bakers if you prefer)
1 large onion, chopped
1 link of chorizo (I used fresh in this case, cuz it was all I could find)
garlic to your taste
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
water
salt and pepper

Step 1: Chiffonade your Kale, rolling them up makes it easier to cut

Step 2: Cube your potatoes and onions (not pictured)

Step 3: Sautee onions and garlic in some EVOO until translucent

Step 4: Add the potatoes and lightly season with salt & pepper
(remember that chorizo is heavily seasoned so be cautious to not overly salt it)

Step 5: Add water to fill the potatoes and simmer for 20 min or until potatoes are tender
Step 6: Meanwhile, fry up some chorizo, if you have the cured kind, just slice it and fry it. In my case I had fresh chorizo so I just took it out of the casing. This should take about 3 min.

Step 7: When potatoes are cooked, mash up the potatoes to create some creaminess to the soup
This is what your soup should look like if you like it chunky like me. You can use a blender if you want a smoother consistency

Step 8: Add the kale to the pot and simmer for about 5 min

mmm...a hot pot of calde verde!
but wait!


Step 9: Add the chorizo into the pot, you can also opt to add it on top of the soup when serving it in a bowl. Because I was also making soup for the rest of the week, I just added all the chorizo to the pot. AND it turned my soup RED!! ROJO!!
(make sure to taste the soup and adjust seasoning if needed)

Step 10: Pack up your delicious soup for a comforting meal throughout the week!



Wasn't that simple? It's delicious and roommate approved!
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Back to the daily grind.





No comments:

Post a Comment