Saturday, August 21, 2010

sushi!!!

For my mom's dinner party tonight, she asked me to make some sushi. I made 2 types and, mind you, I have not made a lot of sushi in my lifetime so I have yet to perfect my sushi-making skills. You can't really tell in the photo - thank god - but my rolls varied in size quite a bit and I didn't put the rice on the nori all the way to the ends so after sitting there for a while some of it started unrolling on itself a little bit. Everyone loved them, though, so that is all that matters!

This roll has smoked salmon, cucumber, green onion and avocado (I really like how the colors turned out)

This roll has egg omelette, kimchi and cucumber (it tasted better than it looks, I promise!)

---

And, now for some random pics, haha:

I painted my toenails! I just tried something I never did before, and I have to say that I like how it turned out :) I guess you can call this a french with gold glitter tips. I was at the beach 2 days ago and I really liked how my toes looked in the sun. I used one of those LA Colors Art Deco nail polishes (in Glitter Gold) with the skinny brushes -- I got it at Forever 21 a long time ago for $1.80, and I just never used it yet.

A branch of one of my mom's orchids broke when it was raining the other day so I brought it inside and stuck it in a vase. It's lasted for almost a week so far with only one flower dying, pretty amazing! So this is my "artsy" shot of the orchids in my kitchen with raindrops on them. The lighting is off in the photo - they're actually fuschia colored in real life, but here they look pretty purple/blue. Weird, huh?

-J

3 comments: