Monday, August 23, 2010

Cornbread has a special place in my heart

I have been looking for an easy & delicious cornbread recipe to make from scratch for ages now, since I really do love it a lot - especially in muffin form! I came across The Neely's Honey Cornbread Muffin recipe from the Food Network and decided to give it a shot today. I did make some changes to it so here is the recipe that I used:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Sift dry ingredients together: 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal, 1 cup wheat flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.
  3. Whisk wet ingredients in separate bowl: 1/2 stick melted butter, 2 eggs, 1 cup 2% milk, 1/8 cup brown granulated sugar (not my ideal sugar to use but that is all I had in the house), 1/4 cup honey.
  4. Combine wet & dry ingredients with a whisk until just incorporated, careful not to overmix.
  5. Divide into greased muffin tin, sprinkle tops with some brown sugar.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes.
I put a lot less sugar in the muffins than the recipe called for since my parents don't like food that is too sweet, so these muffins pretty much had only a faint sweetness to them. When I ate a muffin, I drizzled some more honey on it and it was perfect. I really like the texture of this cornbread and it is really easy to make by just pulling ingredients from your fridge and pantry, without requiring an extra trip to the grocery store.

Mmm, what can be more perfect than a warm cornbread muffin straight out of the oven with some honey drizzled over it?

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment