Saturday, July 17, 2010

Birthday Luxe

Are true foodies supposed to avoid chain-restaurants? Is that an unspoken rule?
What about when you are desperately in need of a place to go to for your 20-something birthday?

It was either Cheesecake Factory or Grand Luxe Cafe, both just happened to be owned by Cheesecake Factory Inc., who has been reporting increases in 1st and 2nd quarterly earnings for this year.
Sounds like people still like their cheesecake...
(And guess who had cheesecake for breakfast this morning?)
So how did I pick between the two? Simple.
The last and only time I went to Cheesecake Factory I couldn't even see my food. They must really dim the lights so your brain wouldn't even register the fact that you're eating fried cheese and a gazillion calories. Don't be surprised if you walk out 200 lbs heavier. And the fact that my dad refused to eat in a mall also helped...

So Grand Luxe it is!

Grand Luxe is known for their Klimt's golden phase decorations that prompted "oohs" and "aahs" from my parents. Yeah, ever notice that the restaurant was one colored? A muted gold with serpentine patterns and Chihuly inspired lamps that is suppose to evoke this "luxe" atmosphere. Whoever designed this restaurant must be earning the big bucks.

I was sorta BLAH about it, since I've been to the one in Chicago overlooking Michigan Ave. And this one was the same, except there was no second floor. Darn, land here is cheap!

My PREVIOUS impressions of this restaurant was that the decoration definitely took away from the quality of the food. In other words, the grandeur of the place made you think that your dinner actually tasted better when in fact it was just "okay" American-fusion cuisine.

But as you get older and wiser, your preferences also change. So it is only appropriate that my views of this restaurant changed on my birthday.

Here's what I chomped on:


Mediterranean Mahi Mahi: two filets of grilled Mahi Mahi plopped onto golden mashed potatoes in a caper, fresh tomato and sun dried tomato sauce with some pesto drizzled on top.

My birthday cake: molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. I waited 30 min for this baby and it was well worth it!

I must say, maybe it was my birthday and I was happy but this meal tasted better than the 5 other times I've been there. Perhaps the Chicago one is not as good?
(Ruh-oh looks like Cheesecake Factory Inc. has some quality issues that they need to worry about...)

But I think it's about ordering the right thing.
My friend and my fellow blogging partner, J, suggested that I order the Mahi Mahi...
I was skeptical...Mahi Mahi tasting good? Are you serious?
I've never really understood this fish because it basically tries to be a piece of steak and I hate it when some form of protein tries be someone else...lol

But this fish was special. The acidity from the double dose of tomatoes and capers made the fish more fish-like, light, but just enough to fill you up for the rest of the day.
It was rich and delicious. I ate it ALL! My dad stole most of my potatoes, he was addicted to that thing!

And let's just take a minute and rejoice in the fact that Grand Luxe serves Sourdough bread with their meals...let's just take a minute here...

The service was exceptional. I didn't remember Grand Luxe having such great servers...
Jill props to you! You are awesome and it was one of the best experiences I've had at a restaurant, it's like she knew it was my birthday without me telling her so.

Do I even need to mention molten chocolate cake? It's basically good anywhere as long as it "molts". And it molted alright. The above picture was me in action! Gone in 5 min...

So my advice? Next time you are going to Grand Luxe don't order the usual big salad bowls, let's just admit that there's nothing special in those...Go Luxe and order some Mahi Mahi.
I think this might become a birthday tradition. :)

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment