Tuesday, February 7, 2012

When life gives you Meyer lemons..

I love citrus. Especially the more tangy and bitter kinds, i.e. grapefruits and pomelo. Meyer lemons are in a class of their own; a cross between lemon & mandarin oranges, they are sweeter than a lemon with a floral fragrance which give them such a unique taste. 

'Tis the season.. My favorite way to use Meyer lemons is a simple lemon bar with a shortbread crust. Low on time yesterday -- I searched for a fast and easy recipe to use these heavenly fruits in, and I came across this one for muffins. It uses the entire lemon: rind, pith, pulp and juice, which really intrigued me so I had to make them! I actually ran out of sugar so I wasn't able to put the cinnamon sugar sprinkling on top of these and I probably only was able to add 3/4 cup instead of the 1 cup required from the recipe. Consequently, my muffins weren't super sweet, but I think I prefer it that way. I also filled my cupcake liners pretty full so I ended up with 12 larger muffins rather than 18. The Meyer lemon flavor definitely shown through and permeated the whole muffin. There is NO substitute for a Meyer lemon, so go out get yourself some.. your tastebuds will thank you.

before baking: as you can see, the batter was kind of on the runny side
these only took 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven
the finished product!

HOW CUTE IS THIS?!??
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment