Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oven-baked Swordfish

In last minute attempts to make dinner tonight.. I was searching for a swordfish recipe since I had this huge swordfish steak on hand. I'm sure there's a reason for this but the majority of the recipes called for the fish to be grilled, which I did not have access to. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that swordfish should NOT be overcooked because it gets really tough and gross if you do? So this is what I came up with and despite it being a little bland, I think it turned out pretty well!

On the fly.. I preheated the oven to 375 F, got some olive tapenade, a tomato, a lemon and a bunch of kale out of the fridge along with the beautiful swordfish steak. I decided to do a one pan meal inspired by a putanesca sauce with the fish. So I roughly chopped up the tomato, added about 4 spoonfuls of tapenade, garlic powder (yea I was lazy.. freshly minced would have been much better), lemon zest & juice, salt, pepper and olive oil -- mixed that all together in a bowl. THEN, I placed the kale on the bottom of the pan and drizzled olive oil (this was meant to serve as nutritious and a bed for the swordfish to be placed on) (I should have salted this...). Then I rubbed the swordfish on both sides with some more olive oil.. I should have also salted & peppered it too but I forgot to (this probably accounted for the blandness). Finally I poured the tomato mixture over the steak and stuck the whole thing in the oven. You have to be careful to evenly spread the tomato mixture on top of the fish so that it will cook evenly. Now, the fish should be done by 15 minutes, obviously it depends how large a piece you have; be sure to keep your eye on it because overcooked swordfish tastes like a rubber tire. Done! In the future I would add some kind of heat to it, maybe red chili flakes or even a couple shakes of Tabasco hot sauce.

I think it turned out visually appealing, no? FYI: Swordfish goes from pink to white in color as it cooks.

I GOT SOME NEW SHOES! I've been eyeing those 'loafer' style shoes for a while now, and when I saw these in a magazine, I think it was Teen Vogue haha (don't hate! I got a free subscription on my Kindle Fire), I knew I had to get them. They are from the Material Girl line by Madonna and her daughter. These shoes can only be gotten online, at least none of the Macy's near me carried it so I decided to order them.
I'm grateful to Macy's for having a Size 5 shoe, they fit my feet perfectly and these are super comfortable as well. I know I will be putting these to great use because I plan to wear them with as many outfits as I can!
Going onto almost 9 months of my year-long ban on purchasing nail polish, I have also decided not to buy any more makeup and attempt to actually finish the stuff I already own. For that reason, expect to see more food-related posts!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment