Saturday, September 18, 2010

Happy Mid-Autumn (Moon) Festival!

Time for mooncakes! My mom decided to make mooncakes from scratch for the first time ever this year. She woke up at 5 am this morning and started making them, so sadly I have no idea how she did it but I do know that she used the wheat flour that you can buy at Korean grocery stores. She also made her own green mung bean paste for the filling. basically you just take the beans, boil them until they are soft, drain the water and then puree it. And if it's still kind of watery you can strain it with a cheesecloth. I helped her make red azuki bean paste before - same process. I have to say, I am impressed with how well these came out. I hope this becomes an annual tradition in my house...


My favorite thing about these is how flaky the crust part is, and how many layers are in there. You can't get that from those store-bought mooncakes!


Good Job, Mom! haha :)

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment