Tuesday, May 15, 2012

homemade italian soda!

 I recently moved right near a Costco store so it's been a new experience buying groceries there. I don't really think that I prefer it just because of the sheer abundance of anything you get. I do like that the produce is fresh and good quality--the problem is that a lot of will go bad because I can't eat it all myself quickly enough. Also, anyone who knows me well can tell you that I really do not enjoy eating the same thing more than twice (I hate leftovers too).
One of the recent items I purchased was the strawberries. They come in a huge package and they are really delicious. After finishing half of the package I didn't want to let them mold and go to waste so I ended up making a puree with the rest. I basically chopped them in half, put them in a pot with a 1/2 cup sugar and a bit of water. I let that mixture cook down until it got nice and syrup-y, then I blended it until it was a smooth consistency. I wasn't too sure what to use this for but I also happened to get a huge bag of lemons from Costco. Therefore--I made strawberry + lemon italian soda! Basically in the bottom of a glass, put a couple (or more) spoonfuls of the strawberry puree depending on how sweet/tart you want your soda to be. Then squeeze some lemon juice in there, I put a whole lemon's worth since I like things tart. Top it off with some sparkling mineral water like Pelligrino; add ice and a straw, stir and enjoy!

this looks so orange! in reality, it leaned closer to the red side of the color spectrum :)
Currently wearing...
Zoya Jancyn. Hey--this kind of matches my italian soda! haha.  I am really loving orange polish for this summer. This could be described as a bright orange soda cream polish. woohoo!
Zoya Pippa.. this is a really nice yellow polish that isn't too bright, but enough that it doesn't really fall into the pastel color family. This was kind of difficult to apply though; the consistency was on the thicker side so streakiness ensued. But! the pigmentation was definitely there so that was not an issue. This was with 2 coats. 

Aaaand, last but not least.. a new storage container for some of my nail polish. Yea,  I know,  I have a problem (these aren't even all the ones I own.. there is another shoe box of them). Back on the ban.. 
Anyways whenever I need a break from studying I tend to clean/do laundry/reorganize everything. This was a result of one of those "unproductive yet productive" nights.


Unfortunately, it's back to the grind but I am not really sure if I'm going to be able to get anything else done tonight. My bed looks really.. really comfortable.

--J

No comments:

Post a Comment